Yankee Stadium drawing 6,000
- on June 12, 1933 at Yankee Stadium. Browning was going to tackle the rising star, Joe Savoldi, who only two months earlier got a sneaky win over Londos in Chicago, in a benefit for the Free Milk Fund. A mammoth turnout was expected, but when bad weather crossed the ball field, and rain toppled to the mat, the 6-7,000 fans in attendance scurried for cover. The disappointed promoter, Curley, watched
as Browning lifted Savoldi’s title after 1-hour, 58-minutes of grappling, taking the bout by decision. The audience booed when Browning was named the winner, thinking that the two men were evenly matched – and it should have been a draw.
- George Zaharias beat Joe DeVito.
- Hans Kampfer beat Dick Raines.
- Fred Grunmeier beat Frank Judson.
- Ray Steele beat Bill Komar.
- Benny Ginsburg beat Sid Westrich (20:00) via decision.
- Stanley Sokolis beta Cy Williams.
- Paul Boesch beat Steve Znoski (10:05).
- NYSAC World Champ Jim Browning beat Joe Savoldi (1 hour 58 minutes) via decision.